THE LEGACY CLIENT REPLACEMENT PLAN

Phase 1 - A small group of randomly-selected players from Oceania, Russia, and the two Latin America servers will be automatically upgraded to the updated client, although they'll have the ability to launch the legacy client from the login screen.

Phase 2 - Assuming Phase 1 goes well, all players in Oceania, Russia, and Latin America will be automatically upgraded to the updated client, without access to legacy client. Some players in China and Garena regions will also get the update.

Phase 3 - Everyone else (all players, all regions) will be automatically upgraded to the updated client, and the legacy client will be officially retired. This will happen automatically when players launch League without requiring the download of additional files (beyond that of the regular patch for that week). HOWEVER we will temporarily keep the legacy client files on your computer in case of an emergency. Beginning with this patch, we'll replace the legacy client with the updated client on all publicly-hosted game download pages.

Phase 4 - We'll automatically remove legacy client files from your machine to free up space.

This gradual rollout will give us time to monitor player feedback and make adjustments in response. We'll alter these plans or delay the rollout if we find that more significant changes are necessary.

Even after we replace the legacy client, we'll keep making the client better. The features below will take time to make, but we're committing now to deliver them after we finish replacing the legacy client.

BUY SKINS IN CHAMP SELECT in all queues.

UPDATED CHAT MODULE that lets you start new conversations with friends while in champ select.

EVEN MORE IMPROVED LOW-SPEC MODE which (if you didn't already know) speeds the client up by disabling costly animations and prevents the client from running in the background while you're in game. We've been pretty clear from the beginning that any machine that could run the legacy client should be able to run the updated one, and we intend to achieve that with both additional performance tweaks that affect all players and buffs specifically for Low-Spec Mode users.

ITEM SET CREATOR TOOL will return. Early in the client alpha we announced that we weren't planning to rebuild the legacy client's item set creator tool (although the updated client still supports custom item sets). Players passionately asked us to reconsider, so we did. We now intend to rebuild the item set creator tool, but haven't yet started development work on it, so it could take quite some time even after we replace the legacy client. But it is finally back on our to-do list. Of course, replacing the legacy client still comes first.

Looking even further ahead, we're interested in tackling more player-requested client features—especially things like a separate tab in the collection for owned skins and a more customizable profile page. We want to do these, but (you guessed it!) we can't start work on them until we replace the legacy client.

As always, keep an eye on the patch notes for the latest changes and improvements. We'll release another of these beta update posts just before the legacy client replacement process begins.

"Quote:

Um...Rito. I have a problem with this. My pc can only run the legacy client.

If i open up the new client we have now, it all freezes up and I cant do anything. If you fully replace the legacy client then I just basically wasted all of my cash on your guys. Because I wont be able to play the game anymore! So...Before you do replace the legacy client, can you at least tell me what I have to do to fix that freezing problem.

Our goal is to ensure the new client performs at least as well as the legacy client. This patch we're adding major improvements to performance on low-spec machines. Check it out, the difference should be noticeable."