Intro
This tutorial is about starting servers, as many people like the idea of owning a server and make money with that etc.etc.etc. I'm starting to see more and more servers with a crappy script a bad admin team, and 0 players.
Sow that's why I decided to make a little tutorial about starting a server!

Starting pt.1
First go here:http://sa-mp.com/download.php
And download the server package for your OS.
Unpack the package into your Gta San Andreas folder.

Why making a server
There are many reasons to start a server, most people are doing it for the fact that they can do anything they like, some do it to make money.
What i'm trying to say here is: "First think of WHY am I starting a server?"
I personally think these reasons are the most correct ones:
-For a project.
-When you are starting a server for a project, be sure it isn't done before, otherwise there isn't realy a point of even starting.

-For the sake of orignality.
-This might be the best reason to start a server, because many people just want to do something original, not some crappy godfather RP, doing something no one else has ever tried will get you a better chance of having a succesfull server.

-Just to test your scripting skills.
-This one is only recommended for when you are not expecting many people to join your server.

Why would people join YOUR server
As the subtitle says: "Why would people join YOUR server", here are the mainreasons why they wouldn't:
--RP EDITS, scripts you've downloaded from the forums and addapted a little. It doesn't matter howmuch you've edited it, people won't join.
--Terrible admins/comunity. If the comunity sucks, the game experience will suck, something most players don't like, most people like a server where everyone is nice to eachother, so don't go like L*-RP.
--Lagg, this is not the main reason but still a very good reason, if you got to much lagg, people won't be able to play properly and they'll leave.
--Not being originall, something new, something cool, lets say I'd start a RP, no-one has ever made a wheelchair script, things like that, let your creativity go wild!
--A dumb name, with a name like "Penis RP" or "F*ck You DM" won't get players! Use a serious name like "WWIV DM"

Sow now we got some reasons why not, now why they would join:
--A nice comunity/admins, if you have a nice and fun comunity like R*RP and S*TDM you will get a pretty good playerbase! BUT this also requiers a good admin team.
--Less lagg then others, this is rather hard to do BUT if you manage to do this, players will be able to play more smoothly and won't crash into eachother randomly deu to the lagg.
--Being original, something hard but also not hard, simply think of things that have been done, then what not. Something that requires some creativity.
--A good name: use a serious name or a funny name, these two are good reasons for people to join a server, like: "DD/S Madness" or "Flying Disco Zombie Monkey Stunts".

Your GM
Freeroam, RP, DM, TDM, RPG, Race, DD, Basejumping, Stunt, Drift.
There are so many to choose from but wich one to take? I would personally sugest a GM wich is more easier to make, depending on your scripting skills.
Here is a list from easy to harder:
-Freeroam. Probarly the most easy to do, but found more boring by most people.
-Stunt. Easy but originality needed, something not everyone has.
-DM. A bit more difficult, but not TO hard, mostly wanted when a new war game just came out.
-RP. Probarly the hardest, good admins needed, scripting skills needed, but many people like RP.
As you might've noticed, I didn't mention RPG, that is because I have a total lack of knowledge about it sow i can't judge about it.

Internet list or Hosted list?
This is a real dillemma, almost every player only looks in the Hosted list.
BUT: This does certainly NOT mean the server is good! I can just take one look at the Hosted list and see an online server with a 0-2 player ratio.
I personally suggest the Hosted list, but this is only recommended NON-RP servers.(By me)
Note to the people that only play server(Not own): in the Internet list you'll find the most original servers(To my opinion

Your admin team
Make sure you have a good admin team, NEVER randomly make your friends admin! This might/will result into problems.
Also don't make random people admins, I know this sounds confusing sow let me explain this to you:
-If you make your friend(s) admin and you get into a fight or somethign, they will be able to mess up your server if your not alerted.

-What do i mean with "Making random people admin"? Simple: People that come onto your server asking for admin rights, don't give them!

How to recognize a good admin:
-(S)He has been playing for a long while and regulary.

-(S)He is nice to others.

-(S)He helps people out before other admins get the chance, just because (s)he can.

The script
About the script itself, don't just download one of the forums, just start of scratch, read some TUT's here, look into some filterscripts for inspiration.
If your starting a RP server, don't expect people to come if your using GF(edit), or RetroXRP(edit) or VorteX(edit).
If your starting a, lets say stunt server, people don't realy care about downloaded there, I don't know why, also make sure if you're going to edit the script, make some original function, Example: Antifall, everytime someone falls from a certain hight (s)he automaticly gets an parachute.

Getting players
Getting players is the hard thing at starting the server, i wouldn't recommend making an advertisment for a RP servr on the forums, because almost no one looks into those.
Start off small, by making ******* video's, putting a nice wallpaper in your signature, etc. etc.
Also think of a catchy name for your server. Nothing is more attractive then a server with a nice name.
For example, i am starting a server(I actualy am) and it is going to be called:
Über Düber Hyper Mega Monkey Fun Force
I am already expecting people to say: Wtf, that name is odd! What is that!
Also with a crazy name like that, don't expect to much players.

Starting pt.2
Now we know what GM, name and script we are going to use open up your server.cfg file with notepad.
Now you can see this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by server.CFG
echo Executing Server Config...
lanmode 0
rcon_password changeme
maxplayers 32
port 7777
hostname SA-MP 0.3 Server
gamemode0 grandlarc 1
filterscripts base gl_actions gl_property gl_realtime gl_mapicon ls_elevator
announce 0
query 1
weburl www.sa-mp.com
onfoot_rate 40
incar_rate 40
weapon_rate 40
stream_distance 300.0
stream_rate 1000
maxnpc 0
logtimeformat [%H:%M:%S]
Change the Rcon_Password changeme into your desired password.
The GameMode grandlarc 1 into your gamemode name.
And the Filterscript base gl_actions gl_property gl_realtime gl_mapicon ls_elevator into the filterscripts you want to
use.
Now as last but not least: the port, it is standart on 7777, you can change this to whatever you like.
Now you got the base to start up your server!
Now, save it and close/minimalize it.
Go to server.EXE and open it.
If you did everything correct, you will see a prompt screen, if it closes down, check your server.cfg file again.
Now open samp.EXE, and press on add server and then :yourporthere.
Note: You will have to portforward, wich i wont be explaining in this tutorial. I will add a link to a tutorial for it as soon as I find one, if you find one youi may post a link, and I'll add it

Did this help?
Did this tutorial helpt you out a bit?Rep+ then?^^.
I sure hope so! Tell me if anything needs to be corrected, or added!

Thanks for reading!